DA provincial leaders will be addressing a series of meetings across the Eastern Cape for Youth Day. Athol Trollip, Provincial Leader will be addressing a meeting in Sweetwaters, Deputy Provincial Leaders Bobby Stevenson will be speaking in Hofmeyr, and Veliswa Mvenya in Mthatha. Provincial Chairperson Edmund van Vuuren will be in Jeffreys Bay.
In 1976 the youth revolted against the education system of the day. Until we can deal decisively with the education- and jobs crisis in this province, history will continue to repeat itself and we will once again suffer the consequences of another lost generation with no bright future.
Herewith a concise summary of 16 June Youth Day events for the province:
1. DA Youth provincial event at Sweetwaters – Guest Speaker: Athol Trollip (Provincial Leader) Theme: Celebration of Youth
2. DA Youth Wage Subsidy picket at Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth – Guest Speaker: Andrew Whitfield (Provincial Youth Leader) Theme: Youth Wage Subsidy
3. DA mass education rally in Newton Hall, Kouga – Guest Speakers: Edmund van Vuuren (Education Spokesperson) and Elza van Lingen (DA NCOP Leader) Theme: Save our Schools and poor state of education in Kouga
4. DA Youth public meeting at Vaalbank, Lukhanji – Guest Speaker: Cllr Zuko Mandile Theme: Youth unemployment
5. DA Youth rally in Mthatha – Guest Speakers: Masizole Mnqasela (Shadow Deputy Minister of Home Affairs) and Veliswa Mvenya (Provincial Spokesperson and Deputy Leader) Theme: Youth Wage Subsidy and Commemoration of June 16
6. DA Youth public meeting & Youth branch launch in Hofmeyr – Guest Speaker: Bobby Stevenson (Deputy Provincial Leader) & Cllr Knight Mali Theme: Youth Wage Subsidy and Celebration of Youth
7. DA Youth soccer tournament at Thubalethu High School grounds, Fort Beaufort – Guest Speaker: Cllr William Ward Theme: Unity through sport
8. DA Youth sports day at Alexandria Sports Club, Ndlambe – Hosted by Cllr Genevieve Cannon Theme: Sport
9. DA Information tables at Pearston, Somerset East and Makana – Hosted by Frontier Constituency Theme: Youth Wage Subsidy