The ANC in Pearston has been renting municipal office space free of charge for the past six years. This was uncovered when I visited Pearston in my constituency last year.
In response to a parliamentary question I asked to the MEC for Local Government, I was informed that:
- A two year lease had been signed and never renewed
- That no rent had been paid to the Pearston Municipality for the past 6 years
- The lease was signed by current MEC for Health, Sicelo Gqobana
- The outstanding amount due to the municipality is R75,000-00
- Furthermore, we were informed that the lease is in respect of different premises and not the current premises.
This is a disgraceful state of affairs and shows how the ANC subtly commits fraud and misuses public institutions for political gain.
On behalf of the DA I will continue to pursue this matter and insist that:
a) A new lease be drawn up
b) That outstanding monies due to the municipality be paid by the ANC office to the municipality
c) If possible, the ANC vacate their current premises