The following speeches were delivered in the Eastern Cape Legislature today by DA Shadow MEC for Education, Edmund van Vuuren MPL, Shadow MEC for Roads and Public Works, Vicky Knoetze MPL and Shadow MEC for Local Government and Traditional Affairs, Nokonwaba Matikinca MPL, during the budget vote debates of provincial departments.
Budget vote speeches: Departments of Education, Roads & Public Works and Local Government & Traditional Affairs
Edmund van Vuuren,MPL
DA Shadow MEC for Education
“Education not healthier than before”
- Department has underspent R100 million on the compensation of employees.
- Early Childhood Development Practitioners still marginalized without benefits.
- Schools are not being built where there is a great need for them.
Click here for the full speech: Budget vote 2015-16 Education
Vicky Knoetze, MPL
DA Shadow MEC for Roads & Public Works
“No plan to address the R23-billion roads maintenance backlog in the EC”
- No plan to address R23-billion backlog on roads.
- Linking the Fuel Levy to roads maintenance will assist in eliminating the backlog.
Click here for the full speech Budget Vote 2015-16 Roads & Public Works
Nokonwaba Matikinca, MPL
DA Shadow MEC for Local Government & Traditional Affairs
“Back to Basics strategy only a talk show”
- Putting people first and not party politics and favouritism can accelerate service delivery.
- The DA believes in Freedom, Fairness and Opportunity, hence it is against any corrupt activities, but giving people a fair and equal opportunity.
Click here for the full speech COGTA Budget 2015-16