MEC lifts lid on provincial graft: Daily Dispatch

120 state officials charged with financial misconduct since 2013, says Somyo report

MORE than 120 provincial government officials have been charged with financial misconduct between 2013 and June this year.

This was revealed by finance MEC Sakhumzi Somyo in a report submitted to the Bhisho legislature.

Somyo said 66 government officials were charged for contravening the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA) in the 2013-14 financial year.

He said 42 others were charged in the 2014-15 financial year, while 13 were also taken to task for financial misconduct in the 2015-16 financial year which ends next March.

In a written parliamentary response to questions posed by DA MPL Bobby Stevenson, Somyo said the officials charged were spread across various government departments.

He said the figures excluded the provincial education department which had failed to submit its financial misconduct register to treasury authorities for the past three years.

Somyo said the 66 charged in 201314 were mostly from the departments of health, social development and transport.

The 42 officials charged in 2014-15 came from Premier Phumulo Masualle’s office, and the departments of health, social development, roads and public works, transport, cooperative governance and traditional affairs, human settlements and safety and liaison.

Somyo, who could not be reached for additional comment at the time of writing yesterday, did not give a breakdown in his report on how many officials per department were charged for misconduct.

But according to the report – submitted to legislature Speaker Noxolo Kiviet on September 30 – the 13 charged so far this financial year all came from the roads and public works department.

“In the provincial treasury, there were no officials that were charged in terms of the provisions of the PFMA in the years between 2013 and this year,” Somyo said.

He said all provincial departments were supposed to submit quarterly registers to provincial treasury on cases of financial misconduct.

He raised concerns that the provincial education department had not submitted a financial misconduct register to treasury for the past three years.

Attempts to get comment from the department’s acting superintendent-general Ray Tywakadi and spokesman Malibongwe Mtima were unsuccessful at the time of writing. — asandan@dispatch.co.za

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*


*

YouTube