The following speeches were delivered in the Eastern Cape Legislature DA MPL Edmund van Vuuren, Shadow MEC for Health Celeste Barker MPL, Shadow MEC for Roads and Public Works, Vicky Knoetze MPL during the budget vote debates of provincial departments.
Edmund van Vuuren, MPL
Committee Member: Office of the Premier
“The Office of the Premier is not setting a good example regarding the filling of posts and the subsequent assessments”
- Functionality of schools and timeous appointment of educators
- Support to the Departments of Education and Health not producing results
- Compulsory Competency Assessments which have been flouted
Please click here to view the speech: http://www.dabhisho.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Edmunds-OTP-Budget-Speech-June-2016.pdf
Celeste Barker, MPL
Shadow MEC for Health
“An honest government is key to better service delivery and providing more jobs, which means safer communities for all. “
- Medico legal expenses have increased to the point that they consume approximately a third of our total budget.
- Total outstanding medico legal costs amount to a whopping R11.728 Billion
Please click here to view the speech: http://www.dabhisho.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/BUDGET-SPEECH-FOR-31-05-16-Autosaved-2.pdf
Vicky Knoetze, MPL
Shadow MEC for Roads and Public Works
“Transport Programme could be severely affected by the AGRI EC court finding against the Department of Roads and Public Works.”
- Operation Bring Back must be a key focus point in this financial year.
- Proper planning will be essential to manage the impact on the transport programme after the adverse AGRI EC court finding.
- The Department must ensure that issues surrounding late and non-payment of EPWP workers are attended to as a matter of urgency.
Please click here to view the speech: http://www.dabhisho.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Speech-Plenary-31-May-2016-2.pdf