ROBERT (BOBBY) SYKES DUBULIRHAMBA* STEVENSON
Born: Port Elizabeth, 18 February 1959
* Xhosa name meaning “the one that kills the mighty snake”
- Divorced with 2 children
- Chief Whip of the Democratic Alliance in the Provincial Legislature, Eastern Cape
- Deputy Provincial Leader of the DA in the Eastern Cape.
- Attended Grey Junior School
- Matriculated at Sacs in Cape Town
- Graduated with a law degree – BProc in 1980 – UCT
- Graduated from UPE with a BA Hons Degree in political science (Cum Laude) – 1993
- 1978 was elected as youth leader of the Progressive Federal Party in the Western Cape
- Was a member of the Liberal students association at UCT
- 1983 – appointed regional director of the Progressive Federal Party/ DP in the Eastern Cape and served in that capacity until 1999
- 1988 – Was elected to the City Council of Port Elizabeth at the age of 28.
- Re-elected in 1995
- DP Caucus head
- While on the council served on numerous bodies such as the Tourism Association, Business against crime, Port Elizabeth Chamber of Commerce, Community Police Forum as chairperson(Humewood)
- Held the portfolio of safety and security on the executive committee of the Port Elizabeth City Council
- While a city councilor, played a leading role in fighting racial discrimination at local government level and was a strong proponent of human rights.
- Also played a leading role in the one city negotiations which resulted in Port Elizabeth being the first city in South Africa to have non racial local government. Was the head of the DP negotiating team.
- 1999 was elected to the Provincial Legislature in the Eastern Cape and was the Chief Whip of the party.
- Subsequently re-elected in 2004
- Chief whip of the Official Opposition from 2005 – 2009.
- Also the Regional Chairperson of the Democratic Alliance in the Nelson Mandela Metropole 2000 -20007
- Former provincial vice chair and provincial chairperson of finance of the Democratic Alliance of the Eastern Cape.
- Also serves on the Federal Council of the party and on the national finance committee
- Was the founding secretary general in 1995 of the Association of Liberal Democratic Councillors now ADAC
- Played a leading role in designing the 1995 national local govt election campaign of the DP (national co-coordinator)
- Member of the same party since 1977 through the subsequent mergers of PFP into DP and then DA
- Political head PE South West Constituency.
- Serves on the following Legislature Committees:
- Safety and Security
- Finance and provincial expenditure
- Public Accounts
- Rules Committee
- Active church member and has seen service as a society steward (elder), lay preacher in the Methodist Church. Currently board member of the Institute for Spirituality and Wholeness which is directed by Bishop George Irvine.
- Participated in a number of overseas study tours which include visits to USA, Russia, Germany, France and Switzerland. The main focus being on local government issues.
- Also attended executive training course in Australia, New Zealand, India, China and Thailanad on behalf of the legislature.
- Undertook a study tour in Canada in 2008 where the focus was on crime.
- Undertaken numerous legislature training courses.
- Golf, gym and recreational tennis
- Enjoys reading extensively on politics and human resources development