24 March 2010, marks “World Tuberculosis (TB) Awareness Day” and the Democratic Alliance would like to make use of this opportunity to emphasize the importance of raising awareness of this dreaded yet treatable disease. If diagnosed and treated properly in time – TB can be cured.
Also if you are infectious while at home protect yourself and others by doing the following;
• Ventilate your room regularly. TB spreads in small and closed spaces. Put a fan in your window to blow out air that may contain bacteria.
• Sleep in a room away from other family members.
• Avoid close contact with others.
• Don’t go to work or school until it is under control.
• Cover your mouth with a tissue when you cough, sneeze or laugh. Discard used tissues in a plastic bag, then seal and throw it away.
• Wash your hands after sneezing, coughing or holding your hands near your mouth or nose.
We would also like to encourage people to go to their nearest clinics to have them tested or diagnosed especially those whom have come into contacted with TB patients.
Leave a Reply