The Members of the DA Eastern Cape Legislature Caucus attended a seminar by leadership guru Robin Sharma on 25July in Cape Town. “It is part of my leadership vision to expose our MPLs and staff to top speakers and information that can assist in their personal growth. If one wants to grow and develop an organization then one needs to enhance the leadership skills of one’s team,” said Bobby Stevenson. “Earlier on this year the staff joined MPLs in spending a day with John Maxwell.”
Some of the key points that came up during the Robin Sharma presentation were:
- You need to grow leaders faster than your competition if you want your company to come out as a winner.
- You are paid not to just work. You are paid to be scared. You need to outperform what you did yesterday. You are paid to be out on the edges, out of your comfort zone. You need to move from a safe harbour out into the blue ocean.
- One needs to remain innovating otherwise you are on the road to becoming obsolete. Don’t believe your own press clippings.
- The old model of leadership is obsolete: the command and control model is out. It is now about communicating, relationships and collaborating. There is a shift from command and control to connecting and creativity.
- The competitive advantage is growing leadership at all levels faster than your competition. The job of a leader is to leave a trail of other leaders around.
- Leadership is three things: Inspiration, Influence, Impact.
- You need to become the Chief Inspirational Officer (CIO). The way you talk and act influences the people around you. People need to move from victimhood to leadership.
- The secret of mastery is doing a few things really well.
- Leave people better than you found them and inspire unimaginable work. The bigger your dream, the more you need the team. Our business is about people, relationships and trust.
- Use your work to change the world.