The Democratic Alliance in the Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature is eagerly awaiting a response from Health MEC Dr Phumza Dyantyi regarding the admission hours of the Joubertina Community Health Centre.
On Friday, 21 July, during normal working hours, local resident Samatha Kaplank, who was suffering from bronchial problems, was turned away by a receptionist on the basis that the centre does not accept patients after 13:30 in the afternoon on a Friday.
This is completely unacceptable. The facility is open 24/7 and it has an emergency room, so there is absolutely no justification for this service delivery failure.
The DA supports and defends the rights of all state patients to reliable, safe and caring support in the public hospitals and clinics in our province.
I have submitted for following legislature questions to the MEC:
- Please provide the hours in which the Joubertina Community Health Centre is open.
- Are there special conditions at the Joubertina Hospital that necessitate early closure for patient admission or between 13:00 and 14:00?
- If so please provide a full and thorough explanation of these conditions, with a copy of the admission policy of the Joubertina Community Health Centre.
- If not please explain why a receptionist chased a Bronchial patient away in her hour of need.
- What the consequences will be for the receptionist, whose name has been submitted.
The DA will continue to fight for the basic health care for all our people. Health matters and the rights of patients must be protected and guaranteed by the Department of Health and all its staff. — Celeste Barker MPL, Shadow MEC for Health