It is clear that Premier Oscar Mabuyane has no solution to combat the rising unemployment in the Eastern Cape, which is robbing the food off the tables of the people.
This after the Quarterly Labour Force Survey, released by Stats SA today, showed that unemployment in the province continued to rise, with the third quarter up by 1.1%, from 35.4% to 36.5%.
The Eastern Cape continues to have the highest expanded unemployment rate in the country, at 46.5%. This translates into 1,221 million people in the province who are without work, 37,000 more than the same time last year.
The hardship of unemployment is wreaking havoc among families across the province, who will struggle to put food on the table, pay for medication and schooling.
People are leaving this province in droves, seeking opportunities in other provinces. Families should not have to abandon their homes to earn a living.
They must be given the opportunity to build their lives, raise their families and put down deep roots in the province of their birth.
Matriculants should look forward to a future of hope, and not despair.
The right climate for job creation needs to be created, if we are to turn the Eastern Cape around. This means:
- Paying suppliers within 30 days, so small businesses don’t go bankrupt
- Fixing our education and health system, as these are internationally recognised as pillars for growing the economy
- Getting failing municipalities back on track so that there is a regular water and electricity supply
- Eradicating maladministration and corruption that scares off investors
- Bringing the crime rate down
- Getting our infrastructure up to speed
We need an economy that puts a job in every home and builds one SA for all.
Under a DA government the Eastern Cape would be a place of rising opportunity for all.