ROBERT (BOBBY) SYKES DUBULIRHAMBA* STEVENSON
Born: Port Elizabeth, 18 February 1959
Divorced with 2 children
Bobby Stevenson is the Chief Whip of the Official Opposition in the Provincial Legislature in the Eastern Cape.
Bobby is also the Deputy Leader of the Democratic Alliance (DA) and is a member of the Provincial Executive of the DA, for the Eastern Cape.
- Attended Grey Junior School
- Matriculated at Sacs in Cape Town
- Graduated with a law degree – BProc in 1980 – UCT
- Graduated from UPE with a BA Hons Degree in political science (Cum Laude) in 1993
- 1978 was elected as the youth leader of the Progressive Federal Party in the Western Cape
Was a member of the Liberal students association at UCT
- 1983 – Appointed regional director of the Progressive Federal Party/ DP in the Eastern Cape and served in that capacity until 1999
- 1988 – Was elected to the City Council of Port Elizabeth at the age of 28.
- Re-elected in 1995
- DP Caucus head
- While on the council served on numerous bodies such as the Tourism Association, Business against crime, Port Elizabeth Chamber of Commerce, Community Police Forum as chairperson (Humewood)
- Held the portfolio of safety and security on the executive committee of the Port Elizabeth City Council
- While a city councillor, played a leading role in fighting racial discrimination at the local government level and was a strong proponent of human rights.
- Also played a leading role in the one city negotiations which resulted in Port Elizabeth being the first city in South Africa to have a non-racial local government. Was the head of the DP negotiating team.
- From 1999 to date was elected to the Provincial Legislature in the Eastern Cape and served as either the Chief Whip or Leader of the Official Opposition.
- Also the Regional Chairperson of the Democratic Alliance in the Nelson Mandela Metropole 2000 -2007
- Former provincial vice-chair and provincial chairperson of finance of the Democratic Alliance of the Eastern Cape.
- Also serves on the Federal Council of the party and on the national finance committee
- Was the founding secretary-general in 1995 of the Association of Liberal Democratic Councillors now ADAC
- Played a leading role in designing the 1995 national local govt election campaign of the DP (national co-coordinator)
- Member of the same party since 1977 through the subsequent mergers of PFP into DP and then DA
Political head PE South West Constituency.
Serves on the following Legislature Committees:
- Community Safety
- Finance and Provincial Expenditure
- Rules Committee
- Legislature Oversight Committee
- Whips Committee
Bobby is also part of the Federal Candidate Election Committee (FCEC) and is also a National Fundraiser for the party.
Active church member and has seen service as a society steward (elder), lay preacher in the Methodist Church. Currently a board member of the Institute for Spirituality and Wholeness which is directed by Bishop George Irvine.
- Participated in a number of overseas study tours which include visits to the USA, Russia, Germany, France and Switzerland. The main focus is on local government issues.
- Also attended executive training courses in Australia, New Zealand, India, China and Thailanad on behalf of the legislature.
- Undertook a study tour in Canada in 2008 where the focus was on crime.
- Undertaken numerous legislature training courses.
- Bowls and gym
- Enjoys reading extensively on politics and human resources development